Saturday, October 14, 2006

And So It Goes, Charlie
By
Howard W. Gabriel III, Ph.D.


The other day I was leaving for work, when my eyes focused on one of my neighbors, Charlie T. Dragenhout. Charlie had been a successful sales executive until a few years ago. I hadn’t seen him for ages and always wanted to get to know him better. I didn’t even know what he currently did for employment.
“Hello, Charlie, long time no see,” I shouted. “Have you been traveling?”
“No, I’ve just returned to work,” he said.
“What job are you doing now?” I asked.
“No job, I’m a teacher,” Charlie indicated with a broad grin on his face.
“What do you teach? Is it a breeze?” I wondered out loud.
“Sure, it’s a piece of cake,” laughed Charlie. “I teach adult education.”
“Well, I don’t know much about teaching, but I’d like to know about your job,” I persisted.
“Sure, I’ll describe it for you in outline form,” he chuckled again.
The following outline came out of Charlie T. Dragenhout’s mouth. I will never forget it.
Each hour Charlie had to do the following:
Start new students/readmit returning students
Graduate students to various vocational programs
Drop students for various reasons
Monitor attendance and reports on a computer
Prepare student progress reports
Administer various diagnostic tests and practice tests
Administer final exams in Reading and Math
Prepare and deliver lessons on Reading, Math, English, and Writing
Answer phone
Tutor students on lessons and use of computers
Hand out pencils and paper
Prepare sign-in sheets for each session
Review and recycle materials and folders from student leavers
Answer same seven questions 1,000 times (He did not specify the seven).
Review/explain current school rules and procedures
Review/explain revised school rules and procedures
Prepare, order and organize academic references for individual
student use.
Load up the scrap paper box for math practice by students
Counsel individual students
Deal with disciplinary problems
“Whew!” At this point Charlie took in a deep breath. I figured he was done and interjected, “You must get paid a lot of money if you do all that each hour.”
“You bet,” he agreed. “I was paid high hourly wages, even higher than the minimum wage.” He continued, “After a few years of diligent work habits, I was lucky enough to get out of work for awhile.”
“Oh, that was good, anyhow,” I said, thinking of a nice long paid vacation.
“No, not really,” he replied. “I developed a serious heart condition from all the stress. I got out of work by spending several weeks in the hospital,” he sighed. “I was lucky enough to survive open heart surgery and recently have returned to my teaching position.”
Then Charlie continued talking, “Each hour I must do the following…”
I then interrupted him by pointing out that we were both late for work.
As I drove down the street I vowed to never bring up teaching again to Charlie T. Dragenhout.
And so it goes.

1 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy Dad, Charlie sounds all too familiar - I wonder why???? :)
Love,
Anna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home